Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Blick blick blick blick

Blubbedy blubbedy blick blick blick

Blubbedy Blubbedy Bliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick

Bliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii ........................ck

This is not the sound of weeping concrete.  Oh no, dear friend, this is the sound my brain makes when confronted with social scientific empiricism.

Then.  Shutdown.


The steely hand of rationality is the metaphorical keyboard plunged mercilessly through the screen of my la-de-da-da-de-da-day approach to things.  I don't even mind that I've mixed my metaphors anymore.  I've gone away and I might not come back.

 

The problem, you see, is that you can't argue against it.  There's nothing wrong with empirical truths - that's what makes them so dull.  They are, by their very nature, correct.  Objective truth - what a bore.  But, as Ken Wilber has so lengthily stated, they are true but partial.  True but partial, people.  They only describe a bit of the picture - and, to my mind, the most boring bit of it, the bit that doesn't need description because it's so goddamn obvious.

And that is why I hate Library and Information Studies.  Because as an academic subject, it makes my brain go BLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK KK KKKK KKKKK

KK KUTHUNK.



BALLA-BALLA-BALLA-BALLA-BALLA-BALLA

BALLA-BALLA-BALLA-BALLA

No, it is not the sound of concrete laughing.  This is the sound that Icelandic children make on Ball Day every year.  The 6th of March. 

First, they fashion wands out of paper ....



... then they get up extra early in the morning, sneak into their parents' bedrooms ....



... and start screaming BALLABALLABALLABALLABALLABALLABALLA



... and spanking their parents on the ass with their paper wands.



No, it's not the latest Lars Von Trier film.

This is an Icelandic custom. 

The parents get out of bed and reward the little terrors with delicious homemade balls that are not unlike the chocolate éclairs we know and love so well.  Yum!

And that is the difference between Blick and Balla.
Blick makes me sick and Balla's delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment